Visio and Project 2016 both crash before even opening!

I have yet to even get either of these programs to launch for the first time. I click the icon to launch them and then... nothing.

I took me a while to figure out just what was going on, and I had to look at the Event Viewer --> Custom View --> Administrative Events to finally discover both of these:

Faulting application name: VISIO.EXE, version: 16.0.4266.1003, time stamp: 0x55ceaf33
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000002d
Faulting process id: 0x14bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1079c9660493f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\VISIO.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: e8ea5ca8-de3a-4059-b1ac-77244ae47815
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: WINPROJ.EXE, version: 16.0.4266.1003, time stamp: 0x55ceb04c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000002fc
Faulting process id: 0x16dc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1079e1677735e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Root\Office16\WINPROJ.EXE
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: bf117cc4-4373-451c-a4bd-8efd8aa50d44
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Both of these are fully licensed versions I have downloaded through Microsoft Dreamspark through my education account.

I have the same exact issue. I installed Office 2016 from my company Office365 and then got Project and Visio from my company MSDN subscription. Office works fine but both Visio and Excel will not run with the same event log details.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any luck with this issue yet?  I'm having the exact same issue with Windows 10 and Project 2016

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I have it all working but I had to jump through hoops.

I uninstalled everything, Office, Visio, Project. Then I followed most of the steps in this write up:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manually-uninstall-Office-2016-or-Office-365-4e2904ea-25c8-4544-99ee-17696bb3027b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I did not delete the entire registry settings but focused on the ClickToRun and AppVISV stuff since I was told the C2R and MSDN installs were not compatible.

I then downloaded Office, Visio and Project ALL from my MSDN subscription and installed from those ISO.

1st Office then run word and make sure it asks for and you enter your MSDN key

then I installed Visio and ran it and made sure it asked for and I entered my key

Then the same for project.

If you are still having problems reply to this thread and I'll see if I can help.

Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually did something pretty similar to get it working.  I uninstalled both Project 2016 and Office 365 and installed them in reverse order this time.  Project first and then office and now it is working as expected.  Weird, but I'll take it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The installation in reverse order worked for me as well. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstalling both Office Pro Plus and Visio, then installing Visio first, was the only thing that fixed my issue of Visio crashing on startup.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

so I have un-install all MS software... I installed MS Project and it immediately crashes when I try and open it up.. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a problem installing MS Visio 2016 from .ISO file. I had it downloaded to the second HDD on my computer. Mounting .iso with Explorer. But running setup.exe from the iso file, did not display any message or error. Just "did nothing".

Then I moved .iso file to my Desktop, and opening .iso from my desktop and running  setup.exe solved the problem - Visio installed correctly.

Notice: when .iso was mounted fro my desktop, running setup.exe automatically asked me for Administrative privileges. Running setup.exe from the .iso, when it was mounted from secondary HDD, did not display any message at all. 

It can be permission problem, but for the installations - try to mount .iso from your Desktop e.g.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you all for you information but I tried all the variants and nothing seems to work.  Office runs fine but Project and Visio crash with the same error. (see below)

It struck me that the DLL version number was 0.0.0.0 so I checked and the module path is wrong - there are no files at that location.  Seems to me it should be pointing to the vfs folder but I cannot verify.

In the several wipe and reinstall versions I have done this error persists.  variations include with a manual cleanse as suggested between each

1) Project, Visio then office install.

2) Project, Visio

3) Project only

4) Vision only 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi guys after 2 days of figuring out what's the matter with visio 2016. So sharing this, I have my Office Pro 2016 already installed before Visio. Since my version is a Click-to-run (c2r) I updated my Office 2016 version for example in the Word > Account > Updates > Update now. After updating it, Visio also works without crashing. :D 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 6,264 Applies to: